Monday, June 24, 2013

Car Battery Recovery (Desulfation)


I had recently replaced a failed car batter in my older BMW (10 years old).  The battery was only 5 years old but it had failed none the less.  Before replacing the battery it wasn't able to light the dome lights let alone start the car.

In the interest of "science" :) I decided to try to recover the battery.  First I attached it to a typical 12V battery charger.  I left it connected for a long time but the battery would not take a charge (the current meter of the charger showed 0 Amps). I plan on using the battery in my camping trailing to operate the lights and charge our cell phones and that sort of thing, so if I can get the battery in some sort of working order it will be useful to me.

My back of the envelope calculations estimate the average car battery should have an internal resistance in the order of 0.02ohms; my initial measurement (using a 1.3 ohm high power resistor as a test load) showed an internal resistance of over 30 ohms.

Reasons Car Batteries Fail:

Some online reseach indicated that often the reason for non working lead acid battery is sulfation (lead sulfate crystal build up on the battery plates).  It is especially a problem if the battery gets deeply discharged; or isn't brought up to full charge regularly.  This was likely the case with my battery.  The car wasn't winter driven before I bought it so it is likely it sat discharged.  Also I have a very short commute; so in the winter I start the car; run the defrosters, seat heaters and blower motor for a short time (7 minutes to work) then do it again on the way home.  

Battery Desulfators:

There are lots of conflicting reports on battery desufators, I figured I would give it a try and puchased a cheap battery desulfator off aliexpress.com; as far as I know most battery desulfators use the same principle; pulse a high voltage high frequency across the battery to dissolve the sufates back into the electrolyte.

I bought this one (I'm not affiated with the brand or seller)

its a "Clen" brand; pretty much the cheapest available.  It makes a fair amount of buzzing I assume from the DC-DC converter inside.  The device specifies a pulse frequency of 10kHz with a peak voltage amplitude between 60 and 100V. It works with 12V to 48V batteries so I'm assuming that is the reasoning for a range of peak amplitues.


Testing Procedure:
I followed the following procedure when checking the progress.
(1) Disconnect the charger and desuphator
(2) Attach a 1.3 Ohm resistor to get about a 10 Amp load on the battery.
(3) Measure the voltage with the load attached (V_load - voltage under load
(4) Disconnect the load and check the voltage again (V_oc (voltage open circuit)
(5) Calculate the internal resistance of the battery:
(i) V_drop = V_oc - V_load
(ii) I _load = V_load * R_load (1.3)
(iii) R_battery = V_drop / I_load

The Results:
I took some initial measurement of the battery after it had been sitting for about a month and things didn't look good:
No Load Voltage (V_oc): 6.5V 
Voltage with 1.3ohm load (V_load): 240mV
Current with load attached (I_load):  185mA
Estimated internal resistance (R_battery): (6.5-.24)/(.185) = 34 ohms

So the battery wasn't taking a charge (likely due to the high internal resistance).  The high internal resistance is a sign of sulfate buildup on the plates which minimize the plates effective area.

So I hooked up my $25 desulfator (pulse conditioner) and let it run.  I did the above measurement criteria quite often (as indicated on the graphs)




As you can see in the above plot the desulphator worked quite well for my battery.  Within 24 hours the batteries internal resistance was within the right order of magnitude (yay)!  Within about 4 days the battery was pretty close to as good as it was going to get.

Testing Retrospective:

  • I should have measured the resistance of the load after each measurement; as the resistor heats up the resistance can change significantly.
  • I should have had a set amount of time of applying the load, as voltages varied depending on how long the load was applied.

Final Capacity Test:
So it was great to see the battery's interal resistance returned to normal but how about the overall battery capacity?  This battery specifications indicate an initial capacity of 80AH; some research showed this is measured by applying a load until the battery voltage reaches 10.5V.  There are many unknown variables (temperature; load current, etc); but I figured I would wing it and atleast get an estimate of the battery capacity mostly to get an idea if the battery will be usable to me or not.

This is a little tricky to do manually; so I decided to use an microcontroller (an Arduino in this case) to take the measurements periodically.

I just hacked something together quick; it measures the voltage and the current (using a 1 ohm shunt resistor) every 30 seconds and if the voltage falls below 10.5V disconnect the battery (using a relay).

I used a load which would give me around a 3A draw (a 4 ohm dummy load used for audio amplifier testing).  If the capacity is near 80AH I would expect my test to take at most 26 hours. 

So twice per minute I log the current and voltage; and calculate the energy drawn in the 30 second period (1/120 * A); to calculate the total capacity used I simply summed up all the measurements.

https://github.com/scottjgibson/CarBatteryTester

Capacity Results
 - In Progress

23 comments:

Automotive Battery Manufacturers said...

Great thoughts you got there !

Automotive Battery Manufacturers in South East Asia

Unknown said...

I saw this blog and I have benefited a lot. From this site I hope you can stomach the price of good quality and dighasthayi batteries. With the YABO Portable 12v UPS battery, 12v Lithium Ion battery, LED Strip and LED Lamp12v battery, 12v portable battery is also available in all types of batteries.
For more information about their services, feel free to visit their site http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AVLI58M/.

Elizabeth J. Neal said...

Physically inspect for damaged cases, remove any corrosion, and clean the tops of the batteries. If the battery is in a vehicle, remove the negative connection from the battery to eliminate the additional parasitic discharge. have a peek here

Anna Schafer said...

Tomball Spring limousine service for party, wedding, prom, homecoming, rodeo, limo rentals in the tomball spring area. spring limousine

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

this blog awesome because it's provide latest tips about car bettery recovery and car trapped guide .

Paul Gough said...

Glad to find this article! After few years of driving, car batteries start showing problems and we need to buy another. Recovering the older one is definitely a good objective. Thanks for writing on such a useful topic. A user must know the common causes of batteries failure and how to recover them effectively. Hybrid Battery Conditioning Novato, CA.

Unknown said...


Thanks for the much needed info!! It's really superb...i like your post its very informative. keep sahring more.vrla batteries | gel batteries

Star said...

“The project started with two units and expanded to four,” said Washom. visit carcover.com

Best for a car said...

I love to use portable battery starters

Unknown said...

Good Article. Keep Posting Inverter Battery

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing such a good information. Here I want to share you how to store the power of the battery to keep moving ahead. The Storehouses of Power to Keep Moving

Unknown said...

Best article nice information if you want cheap tyres online dubai and car battery in dubai must see : Buy Tyres in Dubai

Anonymous said...


Thanks for the much needed info!Very rare info but if you are still looking for car battery in town you need to see this :) Buy Car Battery in Dubai

Sand Dance Tyres said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sand Dance Tyres said...

Your blog is very informative and it increase my knowledge about Car Battery Replacement Dubai you did a good job dear keep it up the good works.

Unknown said...


Car Batteries come in all shapes and sizes, so it’s best to make sure you’re looking for the right battery. The wrong size will not fit securely and may not provide
sufficient power. Read more at: http://www.powergenixsystems.com/best-car-battery-reviews/

nickmiddleton010 said...

Children's car, car battery, children's electric car, children's car ride, children's pool, inflatable pool รถแบตเตอรี่

Purnima Priyadarsini said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Purnima Priyadarsini said...

Thanks for sharing such a informative blog. Its very helpful for them who are not hurry for the car battery. We always consider the replacement budget of our car battery, how much we are willing to spend on a new battery etc.?So if you not hurry, then choose the best car battery Dubai.

Elizabeth brian said...

A good way to preserve your presets and other electronics is to get a device that is called a memory saver. The best type I have seen, plugs into your OBD II port. It will supply 12 volts to the car, when the car battery is disconnected, learned all this from manyautosltd.com experts

UPS Battery India said...

Thanks for the information

MAXX said...


While an outsized number of users don't transcend making mere voice calls (and infrequent text messaging), the supply of free, excellent, easy-to-use 'apps' (or applications), that grow in variety and number by the day, is gradually drawing many during this category to become 'core' mobile users. many of us that use PCs as their primary computer today, aware that PCs will cede their position of preeminence within the computing world soon, also are starting to switch to smartphones. These factors are expected to steer to a 35% increase within the number of smartphone users by 2020 (or 9.2 billion users, globally).
professional battery manufacturer